15 January 2011

The Wonders of Breast Milk

I just saw this article talking about how the composition of breast milk changes.  I already knew that the milk was different between preemies, infants, and toddlers, changing to meet the child's needs.  I also knew that specific antibodies are made according to the child's needs, in addition to the maternal antibodies that are present.  What I didn't know is that the composition of breast milk is also different between boys and girls, with the milk boys receive being higher in protein and fat.  That's pretty amazing!  Maybe it also helps explain why K weighed over a pound more than C at 9 months, despite the fact that he was over a pound lighter than she was at birth.  Really, the more I read, the more amazing breast milk is.

No comments:

Post a Comment