12 January 2011

BabyCentre Rant

For some reason I was checking out the BabyCentre site recently, even though every time I do that I swear I'll never visit their site again.  Anyway, I was on their sleep section, and was appalled to see that they suggest having your baby cry it out from 4-5 months to get them to sleep through the night!  This goes against what the research shows, though, not to mention that at that age the child cannot understand that you'll be back in x minutes/hours and needs his mother.  A friend of mine once explained it this way: if she was crying, and her husband could hear her but chose to ignore her, she'd probably stop crying, but she'd also feel hurt by her husband and might not trust him as much.  Wouldn't a child feel something similar?  They rely on us for all their needs.  They can't get up on their own, they can't feed themselves, they even regulate their breathing and heartrate with the mother's.  Also, since prolactin levels are highest at night, cutting out the night feeds could harm the breastfeeding relationship and lead to premature weaning.  So I'll once again swear off BabyCentre, knowing I'll probably venture onto there again to see if they've changed their advice.  I certainly won't recommend it to anyone, though.

2 comments:

  1. That's sad. I love the husband analogy, so true.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty sure I got that analogy from Ashlee, actually.

    ReplyDelete