21 December 2010

Pet Peeves - Breastfeeding Myths

I'm sure this has been covered on other blogs, perhaps on Dispelling Breastfeeding Myths, but I feel the need to rant about a myth I've heard a few times, and which I just read this morning in an article.  It's the myth that a woman can't breastfeed if she gets mastitis.  In actuality, a woman should continue to breastfeed if she gets mastitis, as it can help make sure the infection doesn't get worse (source: Patient UK).  I'll grant that it can be incredibly painful to breastfeed from the infected side if you get mastitis.  I recall wincing each time K latched on when I had it, but I carried on whilst being treated with antibiotics, and it soon cleared up, thank God.  Thankfully I knew enough to know I didn't have to stop, and the GP never suggested stopping.

Actually, this all reminds me of a great comic from Hathor the Cow Goddess.  Check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment