13 November 2011

Rosary Musings: Second Sorrowful Mystery

The Second Sorrowful Mystery: the Scourging at the Pillar

Mark 15:15:  So Pilate, anxious to placate the crowd, released Barabbas for them and, after having Jesus scourged, he handed him over to be crucified.


from The Passion of the Christ
Ever since I watched The Passion of the Christ, I've pictured that part of the film when meditating upon this mystery.  I also cannot help but think of Isaiah 52 and 53, with the line that tells us "by His stripes will we be healed".  It's amazing to think of His great love for us, to endure that for us.  I'll admit it's difficult for me to truly meditate on, because it's not an easy thing to think of.  I can't really put into words my thoughts and feelings on it, to be honest.  


I do understand how Mary's soul was also pierced with a sword in all this, for now that I'm a mother, I can imagine her anguish when Jesus was brought out after the scourging.  Behold the Man.  Indeed, we behold Him, but how often do I turn the other way or just ignore Him?  

No comments:

Post a Comment