6 November 2011

Rosary Musings: First Sorrowful Mystery

The First Sorrowful Mystery: the Agony in the Garden

El Greco, source: http://www.myfreewallpapers.net/artistic/pages/el-greco-the-agony-in-the-garden.shtml
Matthew 26:36-45
36 Then Jesus came with them to a plot of land called Gethsemane; and he said to his disciples, 'Stay here while I go over there to pray.'
37 He took Peter and the two sons of Zebedee with him. And he began to feel sadness and anguish.
38 Then he said to them, 'My soul is sorrowful to the point of death. Wait here and stay awake with me.'
39 And going on a little further he fell on his face and prayed. 'My Father,' he said, 'if it is possible, let this cup pass me by. Nevertheless, let it be as you, not I, would have it.'
40 He came back to the disciples and found them sleeping, and he said to Peter, 'So you had not the strength to stay awake with me for one hour?
41 Stay awake, and pray not to be put to the test. The spirit is willing enough, but human nature is weak.'
42 Again, a second time, he went away and prayed: 'My Father,' he said, 'if this cup cannot pass by, but I must drink it, your will be done!'
43 And he came back again and found them sleeping, their eyes were so heavy.
44 Leaving them there, he went away again and prayed for the third time, repeating the same words.
45 Then he came back to the disciples and said to them, 'You can sleep on now and have your rest. Look, the hour has come when the Son of man is to be betrayed into the hands of sinners.
 This truly amazes me.  I know how anxious I can get about things at times, things that are nowhere near as agonising as this.  I know how much I can waver in the face of hardship and pain and fear of ridicule, but Jesus didn't waver.  He shows how united He is with us in His humanity, and also His divinity in being able to to make that sacrifice.  I can relate to the Apostles, for all too often I do not "watch and pray", but fall asleep or get distracted with my own things.  I continue to pray to be given the grace to persevere.

No comments:

Post a Comment