12 November 2011

Gruffalo Crumble

"Well," said the Mouse, "you see?  Everyone is afraid of me.  But now my tummy's beginning to rumble.  My favourite food is. . . Gruffalo crumble!"

My children love The Gruffalo.  They loved the book so much that it literally fell apart, so we'll have to get a new copy (we have a plan for that, too).  They frequently pretend that the gruffalo is hiding in the house, or at Mass, or wherever we are.  Last night, though, Kieran then said he wanted to eat the gruffalo.  Being the incredibly cool mum I am, I asked if he wanted gruffalo crumble, to which he readily agreed.  Right, that was the easy part.  Then I had to figure out what gruffalo crumble should be.

I turned to the description from the book.  The book may have been destroyed, but I still have it memorised from all the times I've read it to the children.  The description goes like this:
He has terrible teeth and terrible claws and terrible tusks in his terrible jaws.  His eyes are orange, his tongue is black, he has purple prickles all over his back.  He has knobbly knees and turned out toes and a poisonous wart at the end of his nose.
We had apples that needed using, and some bananas.  One apple was part yellow and part orange, so I figured that would work for the orange eyes.  The banana, though ripe, still had a little green bit at the end, so I used that for the poisonous wart.  My mother picked up some blackberries, which worked for both the black tongue and purple prickles.  I used oats with the crumble topping, which also worked for prickles.  I think it turned out well.

No comments:

Post a Comment