14 August 2011

For All Eternity

I'm continuing with looking at the Anima Christi prayer. If you want a more in-depth theological look at it, I highly recommend Micah's posts over at The Ranter's blog. Here's the full text of the prayer:

Soul of Christ, sanctify me
Body of Christ, save me
Blood of Christ, inebriate me
Water from the side of Christ, wash me
Passion of Christ, strengthen me
O good Jesus, hear me
Within Thy wounds hide me
Suffer me not to be separated from Thee
From the malicious enemy defend me
In the hour of my death call me
And bid me come unto Thee
That with thy Saints I may praise Thee
For all eternity
Amen

For all eternity

 When I was young, I was terrified of the idea of eternity.  Mostly because I was terrified that maybe I wasn't saved.  I no longer have that fear, but I certainly can't wrap my mind around the idea of eternity.  We talk about wanting something to last forever, but we can't truly fathom it.  The idea of something being eternal, timeless, no beginning and no end - it's just not something I can imagine in this world where things end all too soon.  But I trust in God about this, for that is all I can do when I don't understand.

I was also thinking about how we should really be in perpetual adoration of God at all times.  I admit that I don't get to Adoration nearly as often as I'd like.  I try to remind myself to be there before Him spiritually when I'm going about my day, but that doesn't happen as often as it should, either, unfortunately.

No comments:

Post a Comment