22 August 2011

Book Nook


from goodreads.com
When Kieran was quite little I received some flyers for one of those book clubs.  You know the ones, where you get x number of books for really cheap or free (plus shipping) and then commit to buy x number more books in x amount of time?  Well, I decided to do it because they really were good deals, and we got some great books that way.  One of the deals we got was the entire Chronicles of Narnia by C. S. Lewis for all of 50p.  Can't beat that!

We'd had the books when I was little, though I don't remember reading them until the films came out.  Once the books arrived, I set to reading them to Kieran, young as he was, so he and I have gone through the entire series.  I need to start reading them to Charlotte now, and re-read them to Kieran, of course.  Lewis has a way of writing that brings all the images of Narnia to the mind.  Reading The Last Battle actually helped me a lot with how I view the end of the world and death.  Obviously I know he wasn't writing a theological treatise, but I found his depiction of that to be uplifting instead of the scary treatment those subjects had received when growing up.  It's also lovely to see Lewis' faith shining through these works.  I'll admit that some of the books in the series are better than others, but all are worth reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment