26 June 2011

Jessica

Today would've been the 29th birthday of a childhood friend, Jessica.  We grew up together, going to school together from Kindergarten to 12th grade.  We lived 5.5 miles from each other.  We were constantly at each other's houses and knew the entire families.  We'd had a falling out our senior year, something I still regret.  I was a bit of an ass that year.  We went to different universities, and therefore didn't talk as often, but it was nice knowing she was there.  She came to my wedding with her boyfriend, though we didn't get to talk much then (that's the way it goes when it's your wedding, it seems).

When I was pregnant with Kieran, she sent me a wrap and some dinosaur toys.  I wore Kieran in the wrap quite a bit when he was small.  Then she was pregnant with her son and we talked a lot more.  Of course we then both got busy with various things and didn't talk as much.  I hadn't known she was pregnant again with a little girl.  Last year my best friend sent me a note to make sure I knew that Jess had died.  Of course, being an ocean away I didn't know.  As it turns out, she'd gotten a kidney infection during the pregnancy.  It was bad enough that they needed to operate, but something went wrong.  She and her daughter both died.  I miss her, and then I feel hypocritical because I didn't talk to her all that much before she died.  I wish I had, though.  I did just talk to her mother this week.  It had been a year since I'd last spoken with her, and it was nice to chat.

Eternal rest grant unto them, Oh Lord, and may perpetual light shine upon their faces.  May their souls and the souls of all the faithful departed rest in peace. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment