5 June 2011

Blood of Christ

I'm trying to stay off-line as much as possible on Sundays, so I thought over the next few Sundays I'd just post my thoughts, such as they may be, on the Anima Christi prayer.  It's one of my favourite prayers, and one I say daily. Here's the full text:

Soul of Christ, sanctify me
Body of Christ, save me
Blood of Christ, inebriate me
Water from the side of Christ, wash me
Passion of Christ, strengthen me
O good Jesus, hear me
Within Thy wounds hide me
Suffer me not to be separated from Thee
From the malicious enemy defend me
In the hour of my death call me
And bid me come unto Thee
That with thy Saints I may praise Thee
For all eternity
Amen

Blood of Christ, inebriate me.

My thoughts on this part are similar to my thoughts on the previous line.  With this one, though, it also speaks of being completely overcome by Jesus in the Eucharist.  Inebriate me.  The word "inebriate" speaks of being drunk or intoxicated.  Of course, people often speak of being intoxicated by love, and I think that's the sense here.  If we truly allow ourselves to become intoxicated, inebriated by Jesus' love for us when we are united with Him in the Eucharist, how awesome would that be?  I'm reminded of Bernini's The Ecstasy of Saint Teresa, even though her ecstasy was caused by a vision and not by partaking of the Eucharist, I think.

And of course I'm still absolutely amazed that His Blood which was shed for us is shared with us in this way.  Yes, it usually retains the appearance of wine, but there have been times when it hasn't.  Perhaps most notable is the miracle at Lanciano.

No comments:

Post a Comment