5 January 2012

AP with and without Extended Family

As those who know me or read this blog know, I am a huge fan of Attachment Parenting (AP). I found that this is the style that came to me naturally, long before I knew about a name for it. Definitely isn't always easy, but what parenting is? I've found it to be worth it and I wouldn't change a thing.

I have noticed something, though, in the few months we've been living with my parents. AP is, in some ways, much easier with extended family around. I'm sure hat wouldn't be the case if my family were opposed to our parenting choices, but they support us and instead try to help without overstepping boundaries. I appreciate this more than I can say and I know it'll be an adjustment when we move back out.

Part of AP is responding to a child quickly and gently. When it was just us, I tried to do this, but there were times when I couldn't get there immediately. So I did the best I could, and that was that. Those times still happen now, but with less frequency, for there are more adults around who can either comfort the child or assist with household duties. It certainly makes AP a bit easier. Now that house-sharing is becoming slightly more common again, perhaps others will find this to be the case, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment