15 July 2011

New Whooping Cough Law Prompts Race to Vaccinate - The Bay Citizen

New Whooping Cough Law Prompts Race to Vaccinate - The Bay Citizen

I saw this article, thanks to the Analytical Armadillo. To me, this doesn't make a lot of sense. Scientists have revealed that the pertussis virus has mutated, and that many who contracted pertussis during the outbreak had been vaccinated against it. This isn't a unique phenomenon, either, as this study shows (yes, I realise the study also concludes that high vaccination rates should be maintained, but it does show that vaccination doesn't mean a person won't contract pertussis). I'm glad they're allowing exemptions, at least. Personally, I think some vaccines make more sense as being offered only for those who are at a higher risk for that disease, as in those with compromised immune systems, but that's just my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment