1 March 2011

University

A topic that sometimes arises is whether a university education is worth it, or if it's beneficial to everyone.  Obviously this isn't a parenting issue I'll need to address immediately, but it's something that is often on my mind.

First, a little bit of my background.  I never considered the possibility of not attending university, to be honest.  My parents had degrees, my siblings and cousins went, and I can't think of any friends who didn't go.  I also love to learn, so that's another reason I didn't really consider not going to university.  I chose a small private university, and I don't regret my time there one bit.  I chose a degree that I love, and not on the basis of employability.  A postgraduate degree is usually required for archaeology, so I'd always considered that I'd get my MA as well.  After completing the MA in Egyptology, I started the PhD, but later stopped because I chose to be a SAHM.  I would've happily continued attending lectures and language classes, to be honest, provided I didn't have to write the thesis.

When I was doing my undergrad, I was sometimes asked what I would do with my degree.  I'd usually remark that I could work in a museum or teach at the university level (field work was out after my second knee surgery), but, to be honest, I didn't choose my degree based upon the possibility of finding a job, but because I love archaeology and have from a young age.  In fact, a university education shouldn't be tied to employability, in my opinion.  I went to university because I love to learn: full stop.  I didn't limit my lectures to archaeology and history, but chose other courses that interested me, such as literature, Hebrew, and biology.  Similarly, I chose my MA because it interested me, and even managed to fit in a slightly unrelated course on Minoans simply because I find them fascinating (I also found my required language classes fascinating - I love dead languages).  As I mentioned before, I'd happily attend lectures, at least sometimes, if I had the time and money.  In the meantime, I'll continue hitting up the library all the time.

With all this in mind, I can understand why some say that university in a non-negotiable for their children, or that they don't consider the possibility of their child not attending university (not that they're making it compulsory, just that they can't fathom it not happening).  I'll be honest and say that I'll probably be surprised if any of our children choose not to attend university, but I won't require it.  There are some professions where a university education isn't necessary, and if my child knows for certain that he wishes to pursue that profession, I'd set about finding what training/education he needed so he could get it.  An example would be going to culinary school instead of university.  Or if one of my children absolutely knew he wanted to enter the religious life, then attending university might not be the best idea (depending on the type of religious life) so that he wouldn't accrue debt, thus postponing entrance into the community.  Obviously I'll encourage my children to do their best and reach their full potential, and I certainly won't discourage university, especially given my fondness for my university education (I don't care as much about the degrees, but love the education).

1 comment:

  1. I love learning about what I'm interested in...I hate/d school. Blech.

    ReplyDelete