5 February 2011

On Being a SAHM

While I knew I wanted children, and I wasn't always sure about working outside the home, I wasn't at all convinced that I'd willingly be a stay-at-home-mum and actually enjoy it.  I've always been a bit of a homebody, but at the same time get bored if at home day after day.  Nor have I ever enjoyed babysitting.  It has therefore come as quite a surprise to me to find that I truly enjoy being a SAHM, and in fact get a bit stressed if I think about working outside the home.

This didn't happen overnight, of course.  I fell pregnant whilst completing my MA in Egyptology.  I'd already planned to continue on to the PhD and had been conditionally accepted, pending submission of my MA dissertation.  I submitted that at the end of September, and started the PhD in October.  Since K was due in late November, I figured the timing was just about perfect, as I would only miss a week or two of classes before Christmas break, and then would have off until the end of January.  A friend told me that I wouldn't want to come back, but I didn't pay much attention to that at the time, though obviously it's stayed in my mind.  Now, I know part of the reason for that is that I knew I wasn't allowed to take a maternity leave, given that I was on a student visa.  But I also couldn't imagine being happy staying at home with a baby and stopping my studies.  I'd been working part-time at the university throughout my pregnancy and planned to come back to that in the spring semester.

On 29 November, at exactly 40 weeks, I gave birth to K.  I was transformed by motherhood, and it all seemed to come naturally to me.  I found that I was breastfeeding on demand, co-sleeping, babywearing: in short, I was following Attachment Parenting, without even knowing what that was at the time.  Even so, I didn't imagine that I wouldn't continue with my PhD, so when January rolled around, I returned to the university.  My primary supervisor was more than happy for me to bring K along to meetings and classes, which I appreciated immensely.  While we didn't always see eye-to-eye, his welcoming attitude towards me having K with me was wonderful.  I was also able to bring K to work with me, though I did work fewer hours at that point.  I've joked that K was probably confused about language, given that he accompanied me to French and Middle Egyptian lectures.  He even attended a lecture by John Baines, who thankfully was happy for K to be in there, and even joked about it when K cried after a person criticised Baines' conclusions.

As time went on, though, I was becoming more and more stressed about continuing the PhD.  I've never been a fan of archaeological theory, as much as I love archaeology.  My supervisor and I also have very different personalities and seemed to be speaking past each other a lot, leading to frustration on both sides.  So I decided that what I needed was to change supervisors.  In the back of my mind I thought maybe I'd prefer staying at home, but I didn't allow myself to think about it too much, since I was still on a student visa and therefore couldn't stop my studies.  However, I knew that something had to change, so we talked to the international student office and learnt that I could put myself as a dependent on B's visa and then switch to part-time status.  Between that and changing my supervisor, I figured that would be satisfactory.

Only it wasn't.  I was still getting more and more stressed and was unhappy with the PhD.  That continued until I had tonsilitis when K was 9 months old and then ended up having a panic attack because of worrying that I couldn't care for K if I was ill.  I didn't know it was a panic attack, nor did B, so he rang for an ambulance.  They realised that it was a panic attack and spoke to me about it, and I finally admitted how stressed I was and that I didn't want to continue with the PhD.  I'd not voiced those feelings before, but had kept them to myself.  The EMT spoke to B and told him I must be allowed to be a SAHM.  B had had no idea I'd felt that way (seeing as I hadn't told him), but he was very supportive.  We crunched numbers and figured out how we could cut expenses, and I turned in my notice of withdrawing from the PhD programme.  From then on, I've been a SAHM, and I've not regretted it for a day.  I love the time playing with the kids, getting to bake our breads, having the opportunity to home educate, and I look forward to many more days and years of this.

4 comments:

  1. I just might have to blog about the phrase you used: "I was transformed by motherhood". It's a beautiful statement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go right ahead! I'll look forward to reading it. :-) And thank you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I felt the same way. I support NFP, natural childbirth, and attachment parenting etc., and was expecting to be transformed by motherhood. I have very distinctly not been the maternal type (I found being around children both tedious and irritating,) but mum said it would be different when I had my own children. First time it didn't happen. Oh well, I could chalk it up to an emergency c-section before I even began labor, and not holding my child until hours later... the hormones didn't get a chance. I still managed to exclusively breastfeed baby, though... and baby continued to breastfeed until 15mo.
    Second time I had a natural birth at home, with immediate skin-to-skin contact, and baby breastfed an hour after birth. Still no rush of hormones, no feeling of immediate joy. And I still find being around children irritating and tedious.

    And I'm a SAHM. And will continue to be a SAHM until the children are weaned and will be equally well-off with my husband as a SAHD as they would be with me at home. In the meantime, I make this sacrifice, trying to make it gracefully, for my children's well being.

    Oh, but I cannot *WAIT* to get back to either full-time study or full-time work, or a combination of PT study and PT work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's not for everyone, I think. My FIL was a SAHM, while my MIL worked, and that worked for them. I'm sure my husband would love to be a SAHD, but I truly can't think of being away from the kids, especially not whilst breastfeeding.

    But good on you for breastfeeding to 15 months, especially after an emergency c-section!

    ReplyDelete