13 December 2012

Adventures in Cooking - Living with Food Intolerances

Because of Leo's sensitivities, I'm having to relearn how to cook, almost, as I have to abandon or greatly change many recipes that were part of my regular repertoire before his birth.  Thus far I have figured out that he cannot tolerate me eating dairy, beef, pork, tomatoes, soy, eggs, and alcohol (even in cooking).  Before his birth, I ate eggs for breakfast and lunch, had dairy at nearly every meal, made a lot of sausage dishes, and often cooked with wine.  Now, those things are out (please note that this is the exception to the rule, as very few women need to change their diets when breastfeeding. I didn't have to restrict what I ate when breastfeeding Kieran, even though he had a dairy intolerance if he ate it directly). In addition, I can't eat very spicy things, and I have to limit the goat cheese.

With all this in mind, I'd like to occasionally post recipes, if for no other reason than to encourage me to continue in this diet (not that there's a danger of me stopping - if it helps Leo, I'll do it).  First up, then, is chilli.  Months ago I learnt that true Texas chilli contains no tomato, according to this recipe.  I didn't want to give up the beans, though, so I include them. Besides, I need the protein.  So here's my recipe.  My family agree that it's quite tasty.

4 dried New Mexico chiles
Cumin, to taste
1 bell pepper, diced
1/4 - 1/2 onion, diced
1-2 cloves garlic, minced
1-2 carrots, chopped
1 stalk celery, diced
1 sweet potato, cut into 1/2" chunks
1/2c quinoa
1 can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
12-14oz chicken stock (I use homemade, as I find canned stocks too salty, and often contain forbidden foods)
1-2 lbs ground turkey

Soak chiles in hot water until softened (30+ minutes).  Remove stems and seeds and put in blender with cumin and a bit of water. Purée.

Cook turkey in large pot, breaking it up as it cooks. Add onion, celery, garlic, bell pepper, and carrots as turkey is cooking.  Add chicken stock, sweet potato, beans, quinoa, and chile paste. Cover and simmer for 1-2 hours.  Serve over dairy-free cornbread.  Chilli can also be made in the crockpot.

No comments:

Post a Comment