25 January 2011

Sibling Interactions

I'm continually amazed and amused by how K and C interact with each other.  Not being close in age to my siblings, this isn't something I've really experienced first hand.  I mean, we played together, of course, but it wasn't the same as this.  Yes, they get irritated with each other at times, and we have to remind K to be gentle (especially when he's hugging C around her neck), but seeing them play together is just amazing.  K likes to empty one of the toy boxes and climb in so he can be pushed around, but he makes sure C is able to join him in the box.  He tries to teach her to climb the stairs, and likes to show her how to walk.  They have great fun chasing each other around.  C gets really excited when it's time to get K up from his nap, or if K's hiding and I ask her where he is.

At the playground today I was talking to another mum about this, and she mentioned that she hadn't counted on the sibling relationship.  She had her relationship with the elder child, and she had her relationship with the younger, but she hadn't thought of the relationship between the two of them, and I agreed with her.  The most I'd thought about, really, was how much K's life was going to change, and whether he'd feel pushed aside since he wouldn't have as much 1-on-1 time with me.  And I worried some about not getting all the 1-on-1 time with C.  I hadn't considered the gift that a sibling would be for both of them.  I can't wait to see all the fun they'll continue to have together.

No comments:

Post a Comment