10 October 2012

Best Pumpkin Pie Ever

When we loved in Liverpool, I didn't know where to find canned pumpkin, but I did manage to find a sugar pumpkin at the farmer's market.  So I asked my sister-in-law what to do, and she helped me.  It was delicious.

Now that I'm back in the US, I can get canned pumpkin, but I'd rather not.  When shopping the other day, Kieran spotted the pie pumpkins and asked to get one, so we did.  However, I'd forgotten exactly what my sister-in-law said to do, so I did a search and found this.  I found the suggestion of scooping out the seeds with an ice cream scoop to be ingenious! It works so well, and I wonder why I didn't think of it before.  I chose to cook he pumpkin in the oven (I think I steamed it last time); while this takes longer, it's incredibly easy.

 Once it's cooked, the flesh literally falls out of the skin, so I just plop it in the blender.  From there, I followed the recipe on that link.  It tasted good, but I found it to be too clove-y, so I've now altered it to use 1/2 tsp cloves and a dash or two of nutmeg. I also used 1c whole milk instead of evaporated milk, as I forgot to buy any.  And it's absolutely perfect like that.  As for the crust, I take the easy, and delicious, way out and used Penzey's no–roll pie crust.  If you haven't made a pumpkin pie from scratch before, don't be intimidated. I really is easy, and it's easy for kids to help.

No comments:

Post a Comment