link to a tutorial about how to make a maternity dress by cutting off the bottom of a t-shirt and then getting some knit material for the skirt part. It sounded easy enough, even given my lack of sewing finesse, and so I eagerly went out and bought some material and found a V-neck shirt (to allow for nursing while wearing it - this is why I don't often wear dresses, as it's hard to nurse in many of them). And then the shirt and material sat there for a few weeks. This past week I finally decided to get it out and make the dress. Cutting out the material was slow-going, as I could only do it if Charlotte was asleep. Otherwise, she'd put toys on the fabric and move it around. So I found a time when she was sleeping and laid it out and measured. I cut it on the tile floor, as the grout lines ensured I cut straight. One of the cats decided to "help" by trying to attack the scissors, but thankfully no harm was done. Once I got the pieces cut out, the sewing went pretty quick, and this is the result. There are some things I'd do a bit better on another one (and I do plan on making another one once I get more material), but overall I like it. It'll drape well once I have more of a bump, too.
tutorials online. I was right on both counts. I did diverge from the tutorial a little in that I made tubes instead of two strips each, but it worked. My daughter loves her new skirt, too.