29 May 2011

Body of Christ

I'm trying to stay off-line as much as possible on Sundays, so I thought over the next few Sundays I'd just post my thoughts, such as they may be, on the Anima Christi prayer.  It's one of my favourite prayers, and one I say daily. Here's the full text:

Soul of Christ, sanctify me
Body of Christ, save me
Blood of Christ, inebriate me
Water from the side of Christ, wash me
Passion of Christ, strengthen me
O good Jesus, hear me
Within Thy wounds hide me
Suffer me not to be separated from Thee
From the malicious enemy defend me
In the hour of my death call me
And bid me come unto Thee
That with thy Saints I may praise Thee
For all eternity
Amen

Body of Christ, save me.

This line is one of my favourites.  When I was researching Catholicism, it was when I realised the truth of the Eucharist that I knew I had to convert.  I cannot explain or describe the pure love and joy even in kneeling before Jesus in the Blessed Sacrament at Adoration, or exclaiming with the Apostle Thomas "My Lord and my God!" at the Elevation of the Host.  Jesus gives us His Body in the humble form of the Eucharist, telling us we must partake of His Flesh and Blood to have life within us (see John 6).  When we unite ourselves with Jesus in this way, we are slowly transformed by His grace so He may save us.  It is amazing how He humbles Himself in order to be so completely united with us.

No comments:

Post a Comment