30 March 2013

My Own Private Triduum

Lent this year has been, for me, a private thing in many ways. I've had dietary restrictions beyond the norm (I've joked that I'm just following the old school fast, or the one still used by many Eastern Catholics and Orthodox) and have been dealing with Leo's health issues, among other things. I suppose, then, it is only fitting that I should have a private Triduum, too.

And so Holy Thursday found me alone with the three kids. My husband was singing in the choir, but Charlotte was just too exhausted to go. So I prayed the Rosary with them and put them to bed.

I held out hope, though, that I'd get to go to the Good Friday service. Veneration of the Cross is an amazing, humbling experience that I wanted to do. When my husband needed to leave, Leo was sleeping. I hate waking him for the car, as he hates the car and being awakened like that. Instead, I strapped him on and walked with the kids, praying the Chaplet of Divine Mercy as we went. We got to our seats, and Charlotte fell asleep within 5-10 minutes of it starting. Leo did well for a little over an hour (at least he got through Veneration), but then he started getting upset and I knew I needed to get him out. This meant I had to wake Charlotte (a difficult task that usually involves screaming). I told a friend to tell my husband I was leaving, and packed them into the car. Since Leo fell asleep and Charlotte stopped screaming, we just sat in the car until it was over so my husband didn't have to walk home.

Then there's today - Holy Saturday. I love the Vigil, but I haven't been to one since Kieran was a baby. I don't imagine this year will be different unless Charlotte happens to nap. We shall see.

2 comments:

  1. I went to E.V. for the first time in several years, taking my oldest, who's preparing for First Communion--but we only stayed through the baptisms, as we had choir to lead early the next morning.

    I have so much sympathy for you. I suppose it wouldn't help at all to hear that old platitude "this too shall pass"? :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. :-) I'll take that platitude, too.

    ReplyDelete