5 March 2013

Home Remedies

Whenever possible, I prefer to use home remedies, though of course we use medicine whenever needed. Last week my daughter developed a cough. After a restless night, I decided to try a home remedy I'd heard. I took an onion and chopped 1-2 tablespoons. I put that in a small container and added enough local honey to cover the onions. I then let it steep for a few hours (I keep it in the fridge) before giving Charlotte a small spoonful of the honey.

It worked! She didn't cough for hours - I found it was needed twice daily. Better yet, she didn't object to taking it. My mother also had a cough and decided to try it and was pleased with the result, too. I'll have to remember this the next time I have a cough, as I hate cough syrup and refuse to take it unless there's a dire need.

What are your favourite tried and true home remedies?

3 comments:

  1. You can do honey ginger and lemons (slice the ginger and lemons very thin). You put the slices of ginger and lemon in a airtight dish, cover in honey, and refrigerate. After a few weeks the honey turns the lemon slices into marmalade. You scoop out a teaspoon or so into a cup, pour hot water on top, and drink like tea. It's sweet, lemony, slightly spicy, and works wonders on a cold or sore throat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our pediatrician has us use raw buckwheat honey...works great. Easy too! Just eat it straight from the jar.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll have to remember these - thanks!

    ReplyDelete