7 April 2012

Silence

The Triduum is my favourite time of year. The liturgies are just amazing, and remembering Jesus' passion and resurrection in such a sensory way. . .well, there's no describing how powerful it is. Unfortunately, this year I've been unable to attend any of the Triduum services, for a variety of reasons. I have been there in my heart, though.

one of my favourite hymns, one that has been sung at Compline for much of Lent and Holy Week, is "Let All Mortal Flesh Keep Silence" from the Liturgy of St James. I thoughti'd post the lyrics here, omitting the final verse since it isn't unite Easter yet (how I long to sing the Gloria and Alleluia again!). Anyway, here are the lyrics:

Let all mortal flesh keep silence, And with fear and trembling stand; Ponder nothing earthly minded, For with blessing in His hand, Christ our God to earth descendeth Our full homage to demand.

King of kings, yet born of Mary, As of old on earth He stood, Lord of lords, in human vesture, In the body and the blood; He will give to all the faithful His own self for heavenly food.

Rank on rank the host of heaven Spreads its vanguard on the way, As the Light of light descendeth From the realms of endless day, That the powers of hell may vanish As the darkness clears away.

No comments:

Post a Comment